BOD Meeting Minutes- March 12, 2019
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
ABS 7th Street Building
Tuesday March 12, 2019
|Chrissy Davis Hardy|
|Michelle Taylor Kennedy|
Also in attendance: Robin Hollis, Paige Raper, Ellen Coble, Joy Blaser
- Meeting Called to Order – 5:45pm – Meeting called to order at 5:51 by Kevin Nunley.
- Approval of February Minutes – ACTION REQUIRED – Motion to approve the minutes made by Brian Cole and seconded by Suzanne Shuford. All are in favor with no one opposed. The minutes are approved.
- Review of February Financial Results (Brittany) – ACTION REQUIRED – Four months left of budget remaining. YTD revenue $3,313,000, and TYD expenses of 3,147,000 with a net surplus of $166,000. We will be meeting about the budget before the next board meeting so should have something to share by then. Motion to approve the financials made by Tomisha Gladman and seconded by Kyle Barnes. All in favor with no one opposed. The financials are approved.
- Capital Campaign Update – We are contracted with Whitney Jones and we’ve met with them twice since then. We’re getting started and planning will take place over the next four months to plan for campaign leadership. We’re hoping for helpful people to help us move forward on this. Ellen Coble says we’ve selected a good group of people for the advisory committee. We want them to feel involved and brainstorm about ideas and experience. This gives us momentum going into the quiet phase of asking for gifts this summer. Robin Hollis reminds us that many of these names are from our feasibility study and asking for their continued advice and support as we move forward.
- Committee Updates – Real Estate – Thomasville Furniture Factory on Patterson. We have also talked with Senior Services about their property. All of this is still in the early stages. We will probably have some more information as we get further into the capital campaign. There may be other partners involved such as School of the Arts. Communications – Ellen Heck – We’ve gotten good direction from the development team and will be working on the website and making sure it’s user friendly before the capital campaign starts. If anyone wants to work on the website as a short-term project, please let Ellen Heck know. We are at 50% parents on the board starting in July so any new members will need to be non-parents. We have a good pool of applicants that are non-parents. Development – Ellen Coble reports that the CC committee needs artists to complete 8×10 canvasses. Amber Dalholt asks if artists can work on more than one canvas. Yes! We would love that! The committee has done a great job with sponsorships this year but if you know any other sponsors please let us know.
- Parent Council Updates – Two weeks ago was the 5th grade performance, 6th grade this week, 7th grade in two weeks so it is a busy performance month.
- Personnel Update – Closed Session – Kevin makes a motion to go into closed session. Brian Cole seconds. Robin Hollis and Paige Raper are invited to stay for the closed session. Motion to end closed session made by Kevin and seconded by Margaret. All are in favor with no one opposed.
- Principal’s Report (Robin) – Mid-year MAP results were included in this month’s principal’s report. Our students do well compared to the national norm group. The spread between them increases the longer a student is with us. These tests are done 3 times a year and then teachers meet as a team to discuss the results and plan instruction based on individual and group needs. Hiring for next year: Looking for a sixth grade teacher as Mrs. Scott will take a year off to be with her new baby and looking for an EC teacher as Mr. Sharkey has a very long commute so he will not return next year. PE is the last spot we will need to fill for next year right now. If you have someone great in mind to work here, please send them our way. We are brainstorming ways to increase diversity on staff. Thursday night will be the 6th grade science and math dances performance at SECCA. It takes about 30 minutes. March 28th is the Brundibar performance for 7th
- Other Business
- Adjournment – 6:45pm Motion to adjourn made by Brian Cole and seconded by Kyle Barnes. All are in favor with no one opposed and the meeting is adjourned.
● IMPORTANT DATES … MARK YOUR CALENDARS:
● Board Meeting – April 9
○ Community Creates – May 4